When people think of mold, they mostly associate it with negativity, when the truth is that mold, like most things in life, can be good and bad. Good molds include fungi that grow into the most delicious mushrooms that some people love to eat. Conversely and specific to this article, some mold is classified as hazardous mold as it presents a real and sometimes mortal danger to humans and animals.

In this article, I will be discussing some of the symptoms one might experience should they have the unfortunate circumstance to be exposed to hazardous mold. 

hazardous mold growth

Before I start listing the symptoms, I’d like to give you a little more of an understanding of what causes people to react to the hazardous mold in the first place. Hazardous mold growth releases something called mycotoxins into the air. Mycotoxins are compounds with a toxic composition that are produced by the mold. When humans and household pets are exposed to it, there can be some pretty horrible effects.

1. The first most common symptom of someone exposed to hazardous mold is going to be your standard allergy symptoms of runny eyes and nose, congestion, and sneezing. There is no need to freak out each time you get a bit of an allergy attack, but you should stop and think if you may have been exposed to hazardous mold growth.

2. The second symptom I want to talk about is abdominal pain as this is a pretty common symptom of people who have had exposure to hazardous mold. It’s usually a lot more intense than your average run of the mill stomachache since a person who’s had exposure to hazardous mold growth is negatively impacted by mycotoxins which are negatively impacting their body.  

3. The third and worst symptom of all is respiratory distress. This is caused by the mycotoxins impacting an individual’s lungs from performing their proper function at a cellular level. If a person has had any chance at all of being exposed to hazardous mold growth and they start experiencing any respiratory distress, they should get to the closest emergency room as fast as possible and get seen by a physician.

As if this was not already making you a hypochondriac, even the best physicians do not always know or think to check their patients for hazardous mold exposure. You need to be your best advocate and make sure you tell your doctor if you think you’ve been exposed to hazardous mold.

If you have suspect that you may hazardous mold growth in your home, call Drymax Restoration at 337-944-4354. We offer mold testing and mold remediation in Baton Rouge, Lafayette, Lake Charles, Opelousas, Broussard and Alexandria, LA areas.